Monday, May 30, 2011

Me and my sewingmachine and a bit more.

Today was sewingday.

Today I spent my day sewing some mug mats. I'm really in for doing things as simple as possible and these were easy to make.
Since most of my daily used mugs are blue I chose to make blueish mats. The first ones I made I wanted to be as simple as possible but still have a little decor on them.

This is how I did it. I started to decide the size of the circles and cut them out in felt (felt with glue on one side) then I ironed the feltcircles onto the fabric and cut it even. I used a very close zig-zag seam to bind it all together.

I have this fancy machine that can embroider so I chose to make a circle of flowers/stars. When studying the result I felt somthing was missing so I added a handsewn row of red stitches. Simple and easy.

Here you can see them and below a close up.






I have had this fabric for a long time and today it came to use. I wanted to make some squared ones too and this design suited well for my plan.
I made them the same way as the first ones but when the zig-zag was done I sewed a stright seam using long stitches right inside the zig-zag. Then I found my hook and crocheted a little edge. I didn't want something lacey so it's single crochet only.
( US double crochet)





I like the way they turned out both of them even they are quite different.

Wish you all the best.

1 comment:

  1. Those are so cool! I think I could make them, too. I'm not much good at sewing but this looks simple enough. Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete