Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A real garden beauty.

I couldn't get a good snapshot of this one yesterday.

It's a shame to cut her down like I did last evening, but she started acting like a rotavator. It was my fault in the first place since I didn't bind her up. But this way I was able to have some nice photos taken.
Her name is Fritillaria imperialis.
You can see that she's nodding towards the floor here.


She won't bloom everywhere and some years ago I decide to throw her away if she didn't bloom that year. But, luckily she did and has done every year since.
In some ways the flowers reminds me of hanging tulips.

This flower has the most stunning inside. Look at these white spots, so shiny and what a geometric genius. Nature is facinating. The fine darker lines in both flower and foliage. Right before flowering this darker brown stem grows to hold the flowers. She is nothing less than a wonder.


Just had to share with you. Do you have any wonders in your garden?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen this flower before. And it's beautiful!

    I think anything that survives in my garden is a wonder! I don't have much luck with flowers plus in the summer months it's very hot and dry here and the soil is terrible.

    ReplyDelete