Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Not quite sure I'm finished

 

The handstitching went well and quicker than expected.

When I first started this piece, I had a clear idea of what to make and how to make it. The idea is still there, but the way it's made changed. To make a decission what to express and then do it, is by far the hardest art to make. On the other hand, it's the most satisfying art to make too.
Even though I know what this is ment to be, I have been struggling to find a good title to my piece. I very much want it to be understandable and at the same time make the viewer think. Right now I've landed on the title : Under the same sky. 


If I should start this piece over again, I would not have given the girls headscarves. The headscarves are a pure shortcut instead of painting hair. As it is now, people might think it has something to do with religion which isn't the case. It's about humans, all of us. 
There are many questions to be asked, even for me. Where are the girls standing, is one. I have to put it aside for awhile, to see if I should add to it or not. It's always better to use fresh eyes before the final decission. Do you often go for a predetermined expression?
What would you say this is, is it a painting or an embroidery?  I know it's a mix, but in general what would you say?

 

1 comment:

  1. I think its painting, I love the hair scarves and did not even think of it as a religious conatation, I dont think they need to stand,

    ReplyDelete