Saturday, October 11, 2014

Have you heard of Giovanna Garzoni?

She was an Italian painter who lived from 1600 to 1670.


I'm taking Dion Dior's class  "Watercolor pencils", and let me say that this is a very different way of working. But, as the fabulous teacher Dion is, I actually am learning to use these great tools.


Beside the "homework" I like to practice on my own, and thats where Giovanna enters the scene. She was a female painter which were rare back then, and she's looked upon as a real arrow tip when speaking of still life painting. It was portraits that ruled the ground, and there she was painting still lifes, not for bragging, as for the portraits but for pure decoration. Don't we just love that? Female artist going her very own way.


I have a book in which a photo of her painting Open pomegranate is shown, and I thought. let me have a try. Convinced that I really couldn't do it, but to my surprise I actually did. This study thought me alot of things, and will forever remain in my sketchbook. If the paper quality were better, I would have made the background as well.

If you don't know anything about Giovanna, have a look at this tiny film I found on you-tube, showing alot of her beautiful art.

As you understand, I'm quite busy at the moment, but will be back soon.

Enjoy your weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Well i think you did a fabulous job. i knew what it was right away. Hugs!deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pomegranate with all those jewel like seeds spilling out. I have never heard of Giovanna and will go check her out, you are right female painters back then were a rarity!

    ReplyDelete